Coloured mycelium

Hi

I tried to colour mycelium using food coloring but that didn’t seem to work out very well. Does somebody of you guys know how to do so ? In a second attempt I tried to apply the coloring afterwards and not in the substrate iself and I also tried to color it by using a spray can but I might be looking for something natural besides graffiti :slight_smile: If anyone has any tips they are very welcome :slight_smile:

Little sidenote ! I got my first mycelium cake today without any complication. it’s so nicee !

This might inspire you: http://www.themethodcase.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Jonas-Edvard-Myx-Mushroom-Lamp-4.jpg

ow nice I’m gonna check it out !! thank you !!

He doesn’t say how he did it though, does he?

The fibres on which it is grown are coloured, I think

Hey guys I’m testing coloring too :slight_smile:
Black colour: carbon pigment diluted in linseed oil (bio)
Yellow colour: turpentine (non-bio)

Colouring the fibres seems to work quite well. Although maybe it’s just because of a very chemical paint which the fungi can’t decompose? Maybe it’s possible to dye the fibres when pasteurizing using the juice of pre-boiled beetroot juice instead of water? Let me know if anybody is gonna test that.

@LynnJosephy did some experiments with beetroot recently. I think the gist was that it’s too acidic. Also the colour was not thermostable for some reason when in contact with hemp :unamused:

You get the yellow colour from using turpentine or are dissolving a yellow color in turperntine?

how does the linseed oil handle after coloring?? is it still sticky or the carbon compensates for that??

Hello ! I used coloured turpentine.
The linseed oil takes very long to dry but it’s not sticky after that. But I still have carbon in my finger when I touch it so it’s not the good potion !

so the carbon is on the surface mostly, linseed oil based colors you would need to treat them as an oil paint now?? so a final barnish layer might be necessary? (not an artist)

Turpentine is mostly pinene so maybe orange oil would have a similar effect, while being a bit less toxic

Hey! Just made a post on my experimentation with colours :wink:
https://biofabforum.org/t/colouring-mycelium-with-organic-and-synthetic-dyes/9158

1 Like

Hi Lennert. Is this experiment still available to view? The post is not accessible currently :slight_smile: would be great to see it! Thanks