Colouring: bio vs chemical

Hi all!

A friend of mine is a fashion designer and he suggested these dyes for kombucha, as they are very durable and can be applied cold, fixating to cellulose. He said it’s the best he has found for colouring in a nature friendly way as he calculated you would need a lot of food to colour on a big scale with beets or onions eg.I know in this he didn’t consider dyes also could be made of food waste. Anyway these are dichlorotriazine dyes, on which i found this. But I have no idea what that means in terms of impact on the environment/ecological footprint.

Does any of you know more about this or how to research this? Is the chemical process worse than the food use or is it safe to say that these dyes are nature friendly?

@Gammarra, @Elise said you possibly know more that could help me find the answer to this?

Hi Ellen

I’ve found this document comparing different types of dyes. Procion are reactive dyes listed in the Traditional Dying Methods. Maybe this gives you some clues as to the nature friendliness? :slight_smile:

Hi, ellen I am following, but In the middle of changing apartments so it will take time to give a proper answer.

The document by @MichelleVandepoele givesa good initial overview, and itpoints out that indeed itmight be ecofriendly just not in the way people outside the business, think ecofriendliness works. (less watercost and higher recycling incentive, rather than easily disposable)

It will take me sometime to get familiar with the literature.

also when we use food dyes we typically skip the mordant phase. a mild mordant, might make a big difference.

I am going to ask the people that run this amazing effort!
https://oecotextiles.wordpress.com/author/oecotextiles/

just sent a note, with your initial post ( and cc’d winnie!)

let’s see if they answer!

for my 2 bits, I would say any rings with Chlorine incorporated are a ‘no go’ in terms of being environmentally friendly!!
our genomic integrity has a hard enough time!

best,
Rachel

Cool, Rachel!

Thanks for the help!