End result

I had the final exam today. I am really happy with the way everything went.

I had made some color and test swatches. They were numbered and you could search for the number in the book and see what tests were performed on that particular piece.

I will post some of the results here, but not all of them. If someone is interested, please just let me know ! :slight_smile:

And finally… my final prototype!

what did you use to color your dry scoby? does it biodegrade quickly? Have you tried something to make it water proof and last longer?

This is really nice!
I like the way the bag seems to have some kind of patina.

Great work!

Indeed! It looks great! Nice work!

Hey, I used beetroot to color the sheet. I mixed beetroot with water and put it in a big bucket. I let the sheet absorb the water overnight. The next morning I washed it again with soap. Then I started the drying proces. :slight_smile:
And I tried a mixture of beeswax, coconut oil and cocoa butter to make it water proof. It seems to work but the downside is that the kombucha is now greasy. And in warm temperatures, the oils will get fluid again.

Wow Well done! The bag looks great. What kind of natural colours did you use for your test samples?

I am brewing a rose & hibiscus kombucha, scoby’s color is pinkish. Some people also use flowers. Maybe camomile will color scoby in yellow, etc. Yes I thought about beeswax. I am growing many scobies in jars to experiment. I am also making a small piece of leather. It worked in a plastic container although I read that I should not use one. I used a thin layer of scoby that formed in a jar of non sterilized kombucha without cutting it in pieces, apple vinegar, kombucha and green tea. It formed in few days. I am wondering if it would make a difference in the leather thickness if I left the scoby to grow thicker or at the end it dries and gives the same result? Maybe if it was not thick it would dry faster? Beside experiencing and innovating to make it waterproof, stronger and durable, we can also think of ways / purposes it can serve for as it is. Medicinal maybe?
@jaycousins Did you see this?

hey :slight_smile:
I used blueberry,pommegranate,beetroot,raspberry,spinach,turmeric and cayenne pepper. The spinach, turmeric and cayene didn’t do much. The other ones work great. I blended them and mixed it with water.

hi :smiley:

Thank you so much for the coloring tips! I wanted to make something yellow but I did not know how to get it. I will for sure try flowers.
I grew this sheet in a plastic container, but indeed I always see people using glass. I wonder why?
And I guess the thicker your sheet, the stronger the final result. But don’t let it get too thick. I did this once and I had an uneven result and it also took longer to dry.

I am experimenting with natural colors from flowers. Many many colors. It’s two days old now. Some worked. I will share in a couple of weeks. Plastic and stainless steel did not kill scoby, as I read. Maybe it reacts with a specific metal and type of plastic. Maybe it’s not good to consume when grown in plastic. I will share with you. Try to grow scoby in orange, mango, and carrot juices. The color is nice in the strawberry juice. I will also share. How does it degrade? Does it melt? Did you see this before?

@LynnJosephy - interesting?

Turmeric

Do you think, that if you would grow a sheet from this colored scoby, that the sheet would have the same pink color? I don’t think so, but it is worth the try!
And actually, I don’t know how it degrades. But I am going to take a piece and put it in water and see what happens. I might also burry one in the garden haha. I will let you know !

Beautiful! Are those yellow pieces made from bacterial cellulose? :heart_eyes: