Experiments kombucha

Hi!
For my experiment with kombucha leather, i tried to make the dried leather as waterproof as i could.
(The numbers here don’t match the numbers on the kombucha)
I used:

1. CA-VA SEUL W.&V. BEST.

2. CA-VA SEUL SNKR PROTECTOR

3. KIWI WAX FLUID

4. KIWI WAX FIXED

5. RUBBER/LEER GLUE

6. TEXTIEL GLUE

7. AQUA BLOCK RUBSON

8. PARAFINE FIXED

9. PARAFINE FLUID

10. HG TEXTIEL 1 WITH WATER

11. HG TEXTIEL 2 WITH WATER

12. HG TEXTIEL 1 WITHOUT WATER

13. HG TEXTIEL 2 WITHOUT WATER

The numbers 3, 4 were pretty waterproof, but not for a very long time. Number 7 was totally waterproof, but not natural…

The others were not waterproof at all, so the kombucha started to grow again if I added water…

Interesting… It’s super important but I haven’t seen much DIY experimentation with it. What do you think makes the KIWI WAX work so well? Is it the compatibility with kombucha or the product itself that excels?

They use Carnauba wax (which is an edible wax from the Brazilian Copernicia prunifera Palm tree known as “queen of waxes”.

"Carnauba consists mostly of aliphatic esters (40 wt%), diesters of 4-hydroxycinnamic acid (21.0 wt%), ω-hydroxycarboxylic acids (13.0 wt%), and fatty alcohols (12 wt%). The compounds are predominantly derived from acids and alcohols in the C26-C30 range. Distinctive for carnauba wax is the high content of diesters as well as methoxycinnamic acid.[3]

I am unfortunately am not a chemist or agriculture engineer to be able to interpret what I found above. Maybe, someone else can elaborate furthers. It contains acids and alcohol.

" Although too brittle to be used by itself, carnauba wax is often combined with other waxes (principally beeswax) to treat and waterproof many leather products where it provides a high-gloss finish and increases leather’s hardness and durability." The use of alchohol (ethylene) was proved to render the sheets very strong by bdamsin

So we can conclude that Carnauba wax combined with bee wax could be a non - toxic waterproofing agent for BC, not very efficient though. Someone needs to try. I do not see where I can have access to Carauba wax in its pure state in Egypt. :slight_smile:

The mighty @Gammarra might have something enlightening to tell us :slight_smile:

I have been summoned!!!

well, I would like to know how did you apply those layers?
I see soaking, probably at room temperature?
and direct application on the outside??

For this approach to water proofing I would recommend a blow dryer or keeping your waxes at around 40C to make them less viscous.

Remember kombucha is mostly a nanocelluse network designed to minimize oxygen exchange so gettign anything that is not water based to penetrate shouldnt be easy.

KIWI is designed to work on leather and penetrate a similar material, but it doesnt seem to be bonding. if you say that its not for long time.

For future reference, when you measure how waterproof or water repellent something is you need a side picture from a droplet and measure the contact angle.