First growings of Mycelium


#1

My experiment is about the best kinds of materials to grow the mycelium on. To begin with experimentations I started off trying different kinds of wood to see if the process I do is correct and without any contamination.

I grew Mycelium on normal oak, frensh oak, american oak and ebony oak.

These resulted in a pretty good 4 month grow.

All of these I also grew in bags and are still growing, so by now it’s been almost two months. The forth one I only grew in a bag so that’s why it’s missing on these pictures.

To try out a form I made a mold which is made out of rubber. It worked out pretty well as well but it’s not so stable as it should be. Therefore I tried to add polyester liquid to it but it didn’t imporved the strenght.


Some months later I’m now starting to grow on Mais flakes, optical glass fiber and a thin long robe. These will be the same forms as the first tryouts and will be tangible. Next to that I also started growing in small cups of which I wont be able to take out the result but just see through how its’s growing. In the smaller cups I’m trying out


These cups contain;

  1. Loofah, which is the structure of a fruit that is used as a bio sponge.
  2. Robe (cotton)
  3. Fern from the woods.
  4. PLA + Wood filament printed out without being glued together.
  5. leafes from the trees in the woods
  6. Ordinary grass from the garden.

So far progress (2weeks)

The first times I tried, so the first pictures, I cooked all the wood types in seperate cookers; the small cups I cooked in a biger one and let the steam kill the baterials.

What I learned so far growing the mushroom is that the longer I leave it to it’s work the better it grows and the more it spreads around the material.

So far I see I can decent grow Mycelium and I’m allready working on a bigger project. This time I’ll need some more materials and Mycelium.

Sneakpeak;

So far Mycelium.


About Kombucha,

The moment I started growing the mycelium I was allready making Kombucha as a drink. I used a bottle that was too sour to grow a little guy on.

In the drying process I kind of burned it by baking to high temperature.

Quite dissapointing, buttt I learned something unexpectedly. As the liquid on which the Kombuch grows contains acids, you can clean with it.

On the picture you can see the spot on which I dried the little guy in the oven. The metal plate is completely back to it’s original color. Cool right!:slight_smile: but ok, cleaning the plate with acid right away instead of cooking a Kombuch piece on it is a bit more efficient:).

At the moment I’m growing a larger piece just to try it out. Results will be uploaded later on.

Cheers!!


#2

Ha! I laughed a bit reading your kombucha metal cleaning hack. It’s almost like a fossil of a scoby :smiley:

Pinging @FaydH as she’s been growing a lot of kombucha lately. And trapping her family in endless vinegar smells. Maybe this is your way to convince them of the usefulness of scoby’s, Fay :wink: