Hello bio-passionate people !

Really thankful for this bio-community initiative ! :grinning:

Here is a little about why I am joining this kicking bio-adventure.
I am a designer specialized in textile (fashion) and a variety of materials (art & design) based in Brussels (Belgium). I have a strong focus on visual identity (color trends, kinetic effects, touch and movement implied by the material…) developed through material experimentations.

I’ve started to investigate about bio-manufacturing during Material Futures Master in London, and got very fascinated to co-work with living organisms. It brought me a new ethical approach as a designer: biodegradable materials, collaborative creation (with scientists, biologists, agronomists), loop processes (systemic approach), biomimetic technologies, bio-association…
I specifically focused my master project on fungi and species types that can break down and stock contaminants from the soil (mycoremediation). I’ve been working with biologists to understand this natural technic and designed a system containing living mushrooms. I am indeed into regenerative design and projects tackling climate change realities.

I now want to explore further mycelium-based material (thickness, association with other materials) and other types of biomaterials (kombucha, bioplastic) within my design approach (shape, color, texture and combination with other types of material).
I am also interested and in contact with researchers engaged in stone paper, spirulina (for food), decellularized wood, don’t hesitate to get in touch with me regardings these subjects.

Let’s start the bio -learning and -sharing together !
Audrey

Hi Audrey,

We met at the ReaGent wikithon. You have an interesting take on things… Perhaps a shame we didn’t get to talk more on the wikithon…

Hi @Audreyspeyer, thanks for sharing your story and interests! It’s is really inspiring :slight_smile: I was also totally amazed by your portfolio. Do you have an online version of your work?

Feel free to share some ready-made tips and tricks in wiki section, so that eventually people might enjoy and improve upon your visions, as you are already quite advanced in this field.

Lets keep in tough!

I think stone paper is pretty well understood so not much research going into that direction, just trying to find a sustainable durable binder (a pretty difficult task).

Iam familiar with all the chemistry part of the wood and cellulose processing and exporing some ideas in post processing.

always good to hear from poeple that are actually using and designing stuff around these materials.

Hi Koenraad,
I am sure we will meet again at Reagent and I’ll be happy to talk about all sort of bio-things.

Hi @Elise, thank you for your enthusiast feedback! I am working on an online version of my book and I’ll let you know when it will be out there.

Yes, I will post about few low-tech methods I’ve tried out and every comment and improvement upon them would be very welcomed. I was thinking if a mycoremediation section could interest some people to gather resources and share about methods?

Hi @Gammarra, good to hear from you. It would be great to learn more about your ideas in post processing and chemistry, cellulose and wood knowledge. Where are you based? Are you going to Reagent often?

I am brussels based, so I don’t go to reagent that often, though I should.

I am at the Vub campus most of the time and try to stay in contact with the community thru here or the fb group.

Nice, I am also living in Brussels. I have few things to take care of but let me know when we could meet next week. I am mainly interested in mycelium enzymatic stimulation, toxic substances remaining in the fruit body (after a mycoremediation test) and would like to know more about cellulose, chitin and wood.

Is the mycoremediation you are interested focused on heavy metals or organic molecules? first time I hear about the enzymatic stimulation, so ill check the literature on that

Yes, we can do that! Let me know when you have content ready, so we can open a new category. In meanwhile you can always post in the other categories, and when content/topics grows we can move them to a new and more specific category.

We should definitely have a mycoremediation category if there’s interest! I think @lucy would like that too, they’re starting to look into it in Berlin.

Hi! Sure - thanks Winnie :slight_smile: I’m interested in all kinds of bioremediation - also bacterial and phytoremediation… we’re trying to get a community bioremediation project off the ground in Berlin. I’d be happy to share what I’m learning - so far mainly resources from experts (eg. Paul Stamets and Peter McCoy) rather than any personal experience. I’m trying to learn as much as I can.

@winnieponcelet how do you make a new category?

Maybe @matthias knows. He mentioned before there should be the option on the main page of the Forum, but I don’t seem to have the right permissions for that.

@Elise and @winnieponcelet: Found it. It’s possible for moderators (so, for both of you), but due to the special character of the Biofabforum website you have do it on the edgeryders.eu “mothership” website:

1. Go to https://edgeryders.eu/categories
  2. Click the hamburger menu to the right of +New Topic.
  3. Select +New Category.
  4. Don’t forget to fill in “Biofabrication” as parent category, because only then it will show up as category on your part of the site.

Let me know if it does not work like that … because it should :slight_smile:

How about an art or philosophy/sustainability category, or is that too removed from the original purpose of the forum?

@Audreyspeyer @Lucy The category about bioremediation is made ! Feel free to add your content :slight_smile: Looking forward to learn from you!

@Koenraad the categories you propose are a bit vague. Maybe we should make it more specific? Like bio-art or biodesign?

Yes, sometimes I live in a world of abstractions and possibilities, but I get where you are coming from…

Vague wasn’t the right word, broad would have been better :wink: