Hello I'm Raphael, searching for maritime mycelium

Hello my name is Raphaël.

I don’t know if you remember me Winnie, we met in december in Ghent. I am this young french designer who came hitchhicking from the south of France.
If you recall, we discussed myceliums and my project of floating modules in mycelium to create diving plateforms, gardens or utopian islands.
The project’s leaflet if you’re interested

Back then you told me about this forum, and I thank you for it ! Really, this community is awesome ! You guys are all so incredible !

I now have a shed where I can grow mycelium again. Also I have obtained a project with the Fine Arts of Marseille wich is the construction of a watercraft.

I’m looking for a strong mycelium (and substrate) to grow around plastic waste and create somekind of a pirogue. Phill Ross talks about “maritime fungi” but I doubt that any fungi would resist without treatment in the sea. What do you think ?

Also I will not grow it in a lab, so pasteurization and everything will be pretty rough and DiY so I need a resistant strain wich won’t infect easily or anything.

Do you think of a fungi that would suit my needs ?

I thank you all for your precious advises and wish you all a great day.

Hi @Raphael happy to read you here. Great news that you’ve found a way to continue the project!

Maritime mycelium is unknown to me… @Elise, you’re the regular mycelium expert here, do you know any species?

Have you thought of other biomaterials for the material that needs to directly touch water? In any case though, the material would degrade, probably faster than you’d want to. At sea this is more of a problem than on land: you don’t want to be replacing pieces all the time. In order also to provide the stability for the living, organic, biodegradable things on top, the foundation material should be most durable. It could be a mineral substance, too, I guess, one that is non-toxic and perhaps is related to the corals or other marine life? It would likely still erode, but at a slower pace.