Hello, I'm Thijs

Hello,
I’m Thijs Baeyens, student product design at Howest.
We have a new course called “Experimental vegan materials”, for this course i will experiment with making Kombucha leather.
I want to see how the leather reacts under certain (extreme) circumstances: eg. freezing temperatures, or when subjected to warm temperatures for a long time. finally, what the options are for connections. (possibly with other biomaterials)
Kind regards,
Thijs

Hi Thijs, I did some interesting experiments about creating seams between kombucha leather sheets. I just made a post about it yesterday :slight_smile: BC - creating seams between cellulose sheets

good luck and dont hesitate to post more questions/ results here!
Bastien

hi @thijs_baeyens,

I was wondering why the extreme circumstances? What is your trigger to try that out? Just a question out of curiosity?
Maybe you also want to test out blending frozen kombucha leather, or other crazy ideas? Here is an other discussion going on about it: Mini-project to test physical properties of various mycelium skins

Hi @Elise

I don’t really have a trigger that led me to these experiments. But I especially wondered during the workshop we received about kombucha whether certain connections with this material would last when they are submerged in different temperatures.
I started submerging some connection between 2 kombucha sheets for a week at freezing temperatures. It’s a start! I think they may be relevant to further possibilities of purposes with kombucha.

I also want to subdue them to very warm temperatures and see how they react. In the coming weeks, a lot of inspiration will come to mind about what I can still do. These will certainly be posted!

The formation of ice crystals in the kombucha might lead to interesting outcomes. Ice formating eg. in cells makes the structures break (the ice crystals are sharp and they expand.) I wonder if the formation of ice crystals in the cellulose matrix would also break things, or expand them enough that the fibres of two nearby sheets touch/mingle/form a knot.

If some kind of connection is catalyzed through freezing, the subsequent drying process would further weld the sheets together. Via this hypothesis, in theory freezing could be a good way of making a connection :slight_smile: