Hello it's me

Hello, I’m Leen and I’m student Industrial Product Design at Howest. We are doing an experimental module called GIY.
I would like to experiment with natural waste products from here on my farm as raw material in combination with mycelium to grow sustainable material in moulds. Some examples for natural waste products like eggshells, or straw and hay,… It seems to me interesting to combine this with stones or boulders or other forest products such as pines. From my interest in design, I would like to experiment with the possibilities in shape and texture and bring it into a nice en usefull design product.

Grtz
Leen

Oh, and I also want to experiment with Kombucha leather and maybe when everything grows right, I combine this with the mycelium into a nice product as well.

Sorry for my English…

Grtz,
Leen

Hi @Leen. Welcome to community :slight_smile: It is nice idea to turn natural waste into something useful. I am a big time coffee geek and I am looking to reuse coffee grounds and coffee beans shell. So far from my research on it, I have come to know coffee grounds can be useful for pest repellent and fertilizer where as coffee beans shells can be good scrub for skin. Looking forward for your progress on it. Best of luck :slight_smile:

Hi. Ever tried to do something with philips senseo coffee pods, using their distinctive shape?

@Leen Thinking of a spine, the fungal coffee pods could be combined with elements of another material in between them…

Well, Straw and Hay are staples of mycelium growth so taht part is covered.

I have seen people use egg shell for design objects in Colombia so I know is possible, likely to be eggshell pieces binded by polyacrelate resin. It all calcium carbonate in the end.

the chemist in me says:

Grind your egg shell to a fine powder and use them durng the drying process of your Kombucha leather. Since a main complaint in Kombucha leather handling is the humidity and carefulness required during the drying, it might lead to somethin useful.

I dont know if you can do waste coffee Kombucha, likely the tannins are too high, check with @niekd.

Thank you Gammarra, you’re answer is great. I’m going to use this.

Thank you Gammarra, I’m going to use this !!

Koenraad, thanks ! Indeed coffee pods can be usefull in my design.

phheww… what a day… !! I’ve made 8 substrates today… now they are waiting in the fridge. One of these day’s I will combine it with the Mycelium. My substrates are : flax with coffee; mussel shells with coffee; seaweed Wakame with coffee; seaweed Kombu with coffee (the seaweed was bought for eating but I didn’t like the taste… and it was in my closet for … more than 3 years… uhum… yes I know…); coffee with feathers of a pheasant that my dog accidentally ate… :wink:; egg shells with coffee, taxus with coffee and cartboard with coffee. Fingers crossed…

I didn’t know there was such a thing as “accidentally eating a pheasant”, hahaha.

Pine trees are generally resistant to fungi, so the taxus might not work out for that reason. Maybe it’s an exception though.

Would you mind to take a picture every day of the growth by placing it always on the same place? That way you can make a growth video for every substrate.

I’m doing a PhD on the subject of mycelium-materials and I’m also curious, because you made very interesting combinations of substrate :wink: If one or more turn out to grow well, we might go much deeper into researching why, and develop its potential. We’re working on a material library, would you like to contribute?

Will you also open up and share the material library if enough people contribute? :slight_smile:

ping @Littlepinkmaker @JasonPadvorac

Of course! - I’m hoping to do “blocks” so basicially squares with ref numbers that if you type into my website will show you what the material is and how it was made.But that is my summer plan right now.

Of course i will share what i make and know at some point!

Owkay, I will try to do that. Thanks

Yes I’d like to! We should figure out what’s the best way/tool for it, because right now it’s not very communicable. It’s more complex than that to make it valuable for people.

hennepvezels met mycelium elfenbankje

Aardappelschillen met mycelium

Karton & mycelium

Eierschalen en mycelium

Mosselschelpen en karton met mycelium