Hemp based substrate and Chemical Advice

Hey there everyone,

My name is Amy, I’m studying part time for my degree BSc in Design and Engineering with the Open University in the UK.

I’m doing a project at the moment and I wonder if someone here may be able to help, as I feel I may have bitten off FAR more than I can chew, but it’s too late to back down now.

I am looking at using mycelium based materials (I have ordered some hemp GIY live substrate) to design a more sustainable disposable moisture trap. The idealised product would be something that starts to decompose through use and can be put in the food waste bin or buried in the garden. I have found some really great resources on this forum.

My big problem is that most of the traditional plastic disposable traps use calcium chloride to attract water and I am struggling to find a chemical that can match its performance but is more environmentally friendly. I understand the basics of chemistry but I am far from a chemist. Could someone kindly point me in the right direct please?

Thank you!

The problem in the disposable plastic ones is the plastic, not the calcium chloride, that is a common salt that should pose no problems for the decomposition of your Hemp.

It might affect a garden if dumped in large quantitites but a less than kilo should go straight into the compost pile without much issue.

Thank you, that is useful to know! I’m going to try it this weekend!