Heyo, I am Asya with honeybees-fungi life style :)

Hello I am Asya Ilgün from Graz, Austria (originally from Turkey)
Trained as an architect, focused on Computational Design in Architecture and Digital Fabrication during my masters years in CITA (Centre for IT & Architecture), School of Arch, KADK, Denmark.
I have visited the academy early this spring and have met @Elise as a veery fortunate time-space luck :slight_smile:

I have started my PhD project on the topic of lightweight lignocellulosic scaffolds for Co-existing Strategies of"Fungi, Honeybees, Human". I run the design package of our FET-EU project hiveopolis.eu in Artificial Life Lab.
If there is one reason that I am where I am right now, and happily working on my project is that I have joined the Open Source Communities very early in my education.
I would like to contribute to this community and learn from other people across universe :slight_smile:

CHEERIO!

3 Likes

Welcome @asy :slight_smile: I’m super stoked to read more about your adventures here! How has the learning journey from architecture to biology been going for you?

1 Like

Hello @winnieponcelet :slight_smile: I was indeed a part of the platform but did not introduce myself immediately, for I do not know which reason.
Hih the learning journey has been uncomfortably amazing and life-changing for me.
So I focused on using digital design and fabrication (mostly 3d printing) to make different types of environments for honeybees, almost the last 4 years.
I think, even for the most creatively driven people, the outbreak happens when you realise the social, cultural and ecological intentions you breed during your nerdy creative and inventive actions. For me, the most inspiring moment happened during one specific phase of this vicious loop -problem seeking/ solving- I keep on spinning the last 6 years. I wanted to use or “Apply” the drawing method I developed for making lightweight non-woven objects, on a cohabitation scenario of wildlife and humans. I got inspired by the “elephant house” London Zoo, to bat nest cavity regulations in Sweden to urban beekeeping on the Municipality Tower in Copenhagen. There is never enough literature if you are looking for spatial, thermal, optical or structural requirements that the animal nests in wild nature other than the urban nature as well. I clarified my design brief -whilst design variables to be co-joined- as the thermal and structural performance of 3dPrinted materials that support honeybee and human co-occupancy. I was most inspired by what I introduced to the honeybees and what they have given back, at the time when I made my first outdoor observation beehive with a 3d printed prototype in it. This is the moment that I clarified my design intention as a trained architect, design for co-existence. I am currently searching for ways of using fully de-compostable biological materials for making a building integrated cavity that can support the dual occupancy of honeybees and human within a large consortium of an FET-EU project, HIVEOPOLIS. I am in constant exchange with scientists from botany, zoology, biotechnology, material science and beekeeping practitioners.
The main obstacle of the 3d printing technology is -in my case the fused filament deposition-, that it opens you up to so many fields within multitudes of areas like materials science. Mechanical engineering, biology (with bio-material), tissue engineering, architecture, construction, computer science, etc…
I hope I won’t have a burn-out :smiley:

1 Like