I wanted to share a short video on how to isolate mycelium from a mushroom, following a question from a forest walk during a training this weekend. This is for you Astrid and Lize
The basic outline of the video is:
- You want a sterile culture of your mushroom
- The mushroom you have is not sterile itself (eg. it was in the forest, in a shop, …)
- However, the inside of the mushroom is sterile. The inside of the mushroom consists of mycelium.
- You desinfect the outside of the mushroom in sterile conditions
- You cut open the mushrooms with a sterile tool in sterile conditions
- You put the sterile piece of mycelium in your culture medium that you prepared before. In the video it’s a liquid growth medium, but you can also use a solid one like Potato Dextrose Agar (PDA).
- You let the culture grow at the right conditions. To know the right conditions you need to have a vague idea of the species. The conditions of the climate where you found it are a good indication.
Does anyone else know good guides or sources that tell you how to do isolation in a simple way?