Leather made from apple vinegar

Hello,

I try to create a bio-material for an artistic project of my artists collective tripot. The most important thing is that it should look and feel human skin as much as possible. I made some experiments with kombucha but now I want to try to use apple vinegar. @yannick from fermenthings gave me a vinegar scoby and I started to grow in a mixture of apple juice and non-pasteurized apple vinegar. After some failures it seems to work.

But I would like to know if someone has experience with this process. Like for instance a pratcical recipe or knowledge about the properties of the material in comparison to kombucha-leather. Every kind of information would be greatly appreciated!

Learning every day… I did not know there was a difference. Just came on this clarifying article :slight_smile:http://kombuchahome.com/kombucha-scobys-vs-mothers-vinegar-mov/

From the picture it looks like a much cleaner and smoother sheet. Makes sense, without the brownish remains of yeast. And no bubbles in your sheet, because there’s no carbonation. That would make the vinegar scoby superior for leather quality. Less sugar = less flies as well? Curious to read more of your experience @Marius !

Ping @niekd and @loreDeBacker, fellow scoby enthusiasts :slight_smile:

Thanks for the link @winnieponcelet !

There are indeed no bubbles which is already a big advantage.

I don’t know about the flys. I had it already contaminated 2 times. I increased the percentage of vinegar and now it seems to work.

I have to wait for my first real harvest to say more. I keep you posted.

Which means that our scobies are not pure kombucha scoby as we kept on adding cider vinegar. Thank you for sharing this article. Now I understand why we do not use white vinegar although it’s abundant and cheaper. It happened that I found a floating scoby like in a brand of white vinegar. I tried to grow a culture adding sugar and water, it did not work. I am wondering how can one get grow mother vinegar from vinegar and how I can tell the difference between the two culture. I would like to see how these types of bacteria has evolved through the years and what other relationships it had with other microorganisms.

I found this: https://mossgrownstone.wordpress.com/2012/02/13/apple-cider-vinegar-making-a-mother/
I never did it myself because someone gave me a MOV. But I will share some information about the characteristics of the culture as soon as I have harvested the mother.

I harvested my first vinegar sheet. It has a very smooth feeling and without the yeast and the bubbels from carbonation it’s very clean and even, as suspected. Now I will let it dry and see how it changes.

The sheet has dried and I’m very happy with the result. It 's smoother, more flexible and more even than the my kombucha-sheets while seemingly being just as resistant. It is however relatively thin. I could have let it dry longer but it already took a lot of time to grow so in my opnion it grows slower.

I already started a second grow. But it shows a strange white pattern on the surface. It looks like some parts are thicker than others. I’m not sure if I used the same ratio juce/vinegar. So this coud be the reason. I guess next time I have to do measure my ingredients more precisely :slight_smile:

@bdamsin did you check these out. This is the same type of bacteria you prepared in the lab.
@Marius do you think if I grew a tea scoby on apple, I will get the same result. Maybe yeast will not live. I have all sort of contamination this season and something similar to your last sheet. I wonder why some part get sicker while others not? Curious culture behavior :slight_smile:

What has become of your second grow? What is the recipe? I want to try it. Thank you…

(Yes, the growth rate is different as well as everything else. Far example grass for a very thin transparent white filament. Maybe we should find the best combination of nutriments to achieve the desired result.)

Hello,
my second grow has been infested by unwanted bacteria. I don’t know what exactly but it wasn’t usable anymore. But now I am afraid that the mother could be affected as well. I put her to sleep and my growing activity on hold for the time being, because I was busy with other stuff. Now I wanted to restart but I am hesitating to continue with the vinegar mother. Because it seems more unstable than Kombucha and I have don’t really have the time to experiment as much. I want to use the material for an exhibition and I have to grow real big sheets, which already poses a lot of practical problems. So I guess I take the more beaten path :wink:

Did you catch the latest contribution in this thread @marius ? @adrien345 is growing huge sheets successfully and has shared some of his practices :slight_smile:

No, not yet. Thanks a lot for the hint @winnieponcelet!!!

Would you please share with me your recipe? Thank you.
The contamination looks like https://www.kombuchakamp.com/kombucha-brewing-pictures/kahm-yeast-kombucha-contamination
A type of yeast not bacteria.

I didn’r really had a recipe. I just fooled around. But I will try to reconstruct what I did.
I bought some apple juice (I didn’t find any unpasteurized but as untreated as possible, but I got unfiltered and without any additional preservatives) and apple vinegar (non-pasteurized and unfiltered). I mixed them, appr. 4 parts juice + 1 part vinegar.I left it covered for about a week. Then I added teh mother and that’s it. I hope you have more succes than me! :slight_smile:
Thanks for the with the yeast!

Thank u. I would have gone over a more sophisticated process… I will see.