Making glue

After experimenting with different connections of kombucha leather, my choice was to make different biological adhesives. From this I made glues from flour, soy, potatoes, natural proteins, coconut, rice, banana and sugar.

Some adhesives worked very well but had the disadvantage that they had to dry naturally and this was more expensive than the usual adhesives. Also to prevent mold, I have not really found anything for the long term. I kept my pots of glue in the fridge and with some I added vinegar to postpone the mold.

These are the glues I made.

Flower:

Glue with flour works very well and is easy to make. I would compare with a super glue that children tinker with. It is strong but can be easily removed.

Cornflour:

Cornflour glue can be compared to glue from a pritt-pin the only drawback is that these have molded very quickly with me

Banana glue:

Making glue with banana flour was almost as easy as that with the ordinary flower. also its operation is the same and it result reasonably beyond these somewhat less viscous.

Soy glue:

Making glue with soy flour is not possible. the water did not react to the powder which normally causes thickening of the liquid. It remained a kind of liquid juice that is not really thickened.

Potato glue:

Glue from potatoes works but depends on how “old” the potato is. the older the potato the more starch comes from it and so the better the glue will be.

Sweet potato:

Glueing sweet potato is possible not on the contrary and this is because these are low in starch.

Rice glue:

For this rice glue I used sushi rice because it sticks very well. you cook your rice for 40 minutes so that everything sticky is in the moisture and then you sift the rice and you have glue.

Natural proteine glue:

I wanted to try to find a substitute for natural milk proteins to make glue. Only during implementation did this seem more difficult than expected and did this test go wrong.

Soy glue:

This glue could be possible I think I only used too little soy cream and accidentally used too much flour, which caused it to solidify too much

Cocos glue:

Finally, I made glue with coconut milk and flour. this went pretty well and the nice thing about this glue is that it smells nice against the other glues.

Nice series of experiments @VitalC ! I like how you went from ways of joining kombucha to testing new glues. I guess the sugary/nutritious compounds of the glues make it hard to prevent molds for long. Did the added vinegar influence the gluing capacity?

I suppose a different thing to try is indeed refrigerate them for as long as possible, or to mix mixes when it’s needed. I do remember that we have a starch glue in our lab that doesn’t seem to go bad, even outside of the fridge. No idea how they did that though.