Mechanical properties of mycelium brick

Hi.

I’m Daniel, a master’s student in civil engineering and currently I’m studying on mechanical properties of mycelium brick.

I was wondering if you guys could help me.

I’m using “Grifola frondosa”, “Fomitopsis pinicola” and “trametes versicolor”.

I have access to sawdust, sugar cane and other Materials needed for substrate but I don’t know a lot about its Mixing ratio.

Dimensions and other Parameters related to the mold are another question.

@Elise @winnieponcelet can you help me? I have read all of your posts and comments.

Hello @Daniel_MMO, we have moved the BioFab Forum to biofabforum.org a few days ago. So I copied the post you made on edgeryders.eu to this place – this is the new place, where all the discussions take place now. Your account works on both websites (and some more, see the top-right menu “Communities”).

Hi @Daniel_MMO,

At which university do you study?

What type of mechanical tests would you like to perform? What is the application you have in mind, cause this will influence the type of tests to perform?

I’ve never used the species you indicate, so also don’t know the proportions of substrate. Usually, I would recommend not to use to much “fast sugars”, like sugar cane, because this will higher the risk on contaminations.

What type of sawdust? Hard wood, softwood,…? Do you know the origin?

Can you document your process here? It’s easier to advice and help when we see your protocol, methodology, pictures, results of growth, etc… Here is a good example of how @bdamsin is documenting his process Bacterial cellulose in architecture - culture comparison, composites, contamination

I’ve not worked with Grifola and Fomitopsis either. Ideally you will want your fibers in the mixture to be the major ingredient. The nutrients such as sugar cane are just to support the growth, they don’t really add to the strength of the material.

Do you have someone with biology/mycology knowledge nearby to help @Daniel_MMO ?

I am studying at Babol Noshirvani University of Technology (BNUT).
I’m planning to test dry density, elastic modulus, compressive strength and Related parameters. we are planning to use this material as light bricks in walls, and as heat and sound insulation in future, but we don’t want to test thermal and acoustic parameters now.
As I remember you mentioned you have worked with “trametes versicolor”, can you help me with that specie ?

Our sawdust seems to be some kind of hardwood originated from Russia.

I’m aware of the concept, but my problem is the application.
One of my Supervisors is Professor of chemistry working on Biotechnology & etc but he does not have experience on hard mycelium materials.
I’m also (kind of) working with Dr. Nazanin Saeidi which has experience on hard mycelium materials, but unfortunately she is not available most of the time and only responds my questions briefly time to time.

here is an album containing pictures of my first attempt on spawn production.

it’s a bit hard for me to document my process here. because of my unfluent English and the fact that I don’t know how to use this site properly. but I will try my best.

From what I can see and understand from the pictures, you use too much water. Can you describe the quantities you use for making the spawn?

you are right. @Elise
that’s because I miscalculated quantities.

the right quantities :

• 100 mL: PD (potato dextrose) in which microorganism has grown for 2 weeks
  • 450 mL: water
  • 13.5 gr.: sawdust
  • 420.3gr.: Chopped oats
  • 9gr.: Wheat Bran
  • 4.5gr.: CaCO3
  • 2gr.: glucose

Feel free to speak your native tongue and/or put your text through an online translator. Your English reads well though!

Is there any way I can help in using the site @Daniel_MMO ? It’s important to hear what your problems are, so that the site can be improved