Pectin food for reishi

Hello,
So I am trying to achieve a REALLY hydrophobic surface quality on specific parts of the mycelium material I am developing for outdoor beehive enclosures. I use Ganoderma Lucidum (reishi) to achieve compact and hopefully antiseptic housing for honeybee cuties :slight_smile:
The issue with thermal insulation in construction is the condensation that occurs especially during the wintertime if the relative humidity is high in the inner space. If such material does not breath and gets moist enough, it gets mouldy. For a high-quality honeybee life standard, we need to make a good insulating material that can breath (air and water) and would not let the rain-incremental weather in.
I need a really hydrophobic quality on the outer skin of especially the roof part of the hive. I attached a diagram of the dew point that happens on a thick tree wall - where the fibres get saturated…

Question is: If I add pectin (from fruits or powder form), would the fungus cells break it down? and the mycelium tissue would become hydrophobic? Generally speaking, is the fungus what it eats -like us humans? - ?? :slight_smile:
cheers!!
image|690x313

Hi Asy,

I’m really curious to hear about your honeybee project. I’ve been (slowly) exploring how I can create aesthetic homes for solitary bees and wasps, as a substitute for wooden blocks with drilled holes (“insect hotel”).

The goal is to create something sculptural or functional that would be attractive (decorative) to have in your garden or balcony, provides shelter for a variety of insects, is built with only degradable and natural materials but has a different stylistic positioning than current available solutions. My hopes are that something like that would adress and motivate a larger audience than those who are currently aware and taking action on insect population decline. Something that would take cues from stuff like this: https://pin.it/iq6rvdzq6vfpps

In that process, I‘m experimenting with trying to make 3D shapes from ground, dried bacterial cellulose that I try to 3D-print. With varying success in the production stage at the moment.

Still have to see wether insects will take residence, mold keeps out, etc. in later stages. But as BC and wood are both made from cellulose, it is my hypothesis that it could work comparably.

But in the design, I foresee the same problem as you: creating a hydrophobic shell around the main structure, that keeps (most) moisture out of the nesting tunnels, but is still breathable. I’d love to learn what didn’t work and what produced promising results!

Mycelium is a bit to challenging to try at home for me (achieving sterile conditions), but I’m curious what you created so far🤗

Cheers!