Pigment recovery from food waste

Hi everyone

I recently started up a project in order to develop plant-based dyes from food- or agricultural waste streams. Having evaluated the different conventional extraction methods, microwave-/ultrason-assisted solvent extraction appears to be highly suitable for this concept.

As we’ll start testing, extracting and producing in the Glimps lab soon, we prefer to simulate this process with easy-to-use lab or even “kitchen” methods.

Does anyone have experience with microwave-assisted extraction on a small-scale, or the other extraction methods? Maybe you’ve already built an extraction unit yourself? So far, many ideas have popped up in my head (use of a microwave (?), building a temperature- and pressure controlled chamber,…) so it’d be nice to receive some feedback and share ideas.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers!

Annabelle

Its an interesting approach your main issue would be the building of the setup

Literature will be easier to find if you exactly what compounds you are after.

Ultrasound is more interesting for heat sensitive pigments.

Also how are you going to address the need for separation?, since most waste is not really compartmentalized.

In terms of kitchen methods with an unmodifiied microwave your main option without hacking the machine will be no different than your average tincture extraction. e.g place the material, cover in solvent (water, alcohol, my personal favorite Deep eutectic solvents) close and heat up.

for microwave you want several pulses of 30 second at full power since the heating up is not even. (record the wattage of both the microwave and the sonic bath you have)

then filter and test.

1 Like