Hi everyone, prepare for a long post !
During the holidays, I had some time to experiment.
When I went to our school, to harvest the kombucha, it had been growing for about three weeks. I expected to see a nice, thin and smooth layer. I was surprised to see this. The kombucha had grown faster then I expected, but I saw that the temperature in the room was 34 degrees celcius instead of the normal 26. Maybe this has something to do with it? I was dissapointed that the kombucha had left some gaps therefore creating holes.
The side on the bottom was really bumpy and the side on top was more smooth.
I took the sheet home in a bucket. I think it weighed about 5 kilo's. I washed it in cold soapy water.
I cut the sheet in 42 rectagles, so I could use eacht rectangle for a different experiment.
First I tried coloring the patches. These are the methods I've used:
- Food coloring, violet
- Food coloring, golden yellow
- Food coloring, red
- Food coloring, royal blue
- Food coloring, pink
- Fod coloring, leaf green
- Food coloring, Black
- cayenne pepper
- oxygen water
- salt water
I let them sit overnight. This is how they turned out:
I put them behind glass in the sun. Every morning I open the door to the terras and every evening I close it. (Except for when it rains). I also put the non colored patched there. I used different materials to dry them on.
- multiplex with holes
- white plastic
- black plastic
- black polypropylene
- black metal
Another experiment I did was blending the kombucha to try to make some paper.
I also tatooed a piece and I am planning to tattoo another piece once it has dried.
Lastly, maybe my favorite experiment. I baked a patch and tried eating it. Yes, I say 'tried', because it was really tough, really hard to cut and chew. It smelled realy nice, but that was probably the butter. The taste was awful !
I still had some sticky pieces left from jars that had dried up. So I decided to wash them to and see what happens.
I am very excited and can't wait for the to dry !