SCOBY Origami

Hi, my name is Diyannah.

I’m a Master of Architecture student at University of Tasmania in Tasmania, Australia. This semester, I am currently enrolled in an Advanced Design Research elective called Bio-fabrication with SCOBY & Mycelium . The objective of the elective is to explore new ways to biofabricate with the biomaterials and being able to upscale the application of mycelium and SCOBY appropriate to architectural contexts.
Currently, my direction is to create an origami-like (architectural)form through folding the scoby dried sheets. As there is only 8 weeks to produce a physical output, I will not be going through the whole growing process of SCOBY but will be using the dried SCOBY sheets that I currently have at hand now.

Dried Scoby.jpeg
I would appreciate if anyone could share with me on the techniques or methods on how to handle or fold dried SCOBY sheets to achieve the folded forms.

Thank you, looking forward to your reply.

Diyannah

Hi Diyannah! Welcome to the forum. That’s some impressive growing you have going on there :slight_smile:

I noticed there are patterns in the sheets, did you dry them on a roster or something similar?

We have some origami experts in the house here. @LynnJosephy made beautiful jewellery. At a recent workshop there was also someone doing pro stuff. I don’t remember his name but @LumiFungi will know!

Pretty cool that your university has such a course by the way! Does the whole class get to work with the biomaterials?

Hi @winnieponcelet Yes I have messaged @LynnJosephy too. Thank you for the taking time to reply and giving me some advice and tips. As of now, after much researching, I decided to just jump straight into folding the dried scoby sheets. This is my current progress.

Folding the dried scoby sheet works well when they are all dried and thin.

Hi @diyannahsyfqh

Cool! I’d love to follow your progress on different origami forms.

You seem to be making collapsible forms. How is that holding up?
In (regular) paper, corners and some edges will tear or display holes due to stress
from the bending process or repeated collapsing.

This is caused by the fibers in paper that are torn apart on a microlevel,
but I wonder if the nanocellulose structure of the scoby performs better.

Maybe some inspiration for your desk research you can try this one too:

In paper, this is quite springy. It also forms these nice “pillars” underneath the cubical forms on the underside.
I always thought this could be applied to absorb shock or to be load bearing (floor tiles?).

Hi @TomV !

From my experience, folding the thinner scoby sheets have the tendency to tear. Thus, it needs to fold with care. The collapsible forms on the slightly thicker sheets definitely perform better.

And that is one cool origami form!I might want to try folding with SCOBY. Do you have the geometry/template for the origami form above?

I don’t have the original anymore, but here’s what I think it was.
Try it on paper first, since I’m not sure it’s correct :wink:

It’s a pattern that has some rotational repeats.
I’ve drawn it like a tile, so you can just repeat the pattern to the desired size.

EDIT:
It’s called a waterbomb tesselation, of which I found an instructional video here:

It’s Dewiorigami :slight_smile: He’s super pro

Researching on how to transform SCOBY from 2D to 3D form. An update on how the SCOBY origami has progressed from my last post. I have gone about researching on collapsible and kinetic facades.

A mini prototype of the SCOBY skin kinetic facade.

Very nice!
I’m curious for the wear on the joints. Is it holding up the cycles of folding and unfolding?