Storage of BC - distilled water?

This time just a small question :wink:
I have bacterial cellulose which I will harvest soon but would like to keep it in wet situation and with minimal change over time (would like to store it for a week). Can I just place the harvested sheet in distilled water?

greetings!

in a scoby hotel :slight_smile: seriously.

@bdamsin. I would wash it with soap and keep it in a box in the fridge.

It’s laboratory scoby so after growing it’s boiled in water and then in NaOH which cleans/kills it. A scoby hotel would give it nutrients right? I’m more looking for a way to keep it exactly the same for one week (I will be harvesting tomorrow and can only do mechanical tests a week later). Will just in the fridge do the job? It shouldn’t lose its water content… That’s why I was thinking of placing it in simply (distilled) water.

Maybe you can ask here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/counterculturelabs/4urZ6YuQO4A

I would keep it alive in a scoby hotel till I do the mechanical test. It will not grow. It will just remain alive. a new layer will start forming on the top of your jar. I never boiled a scoby before nor use NaOH. I use Borax and Sodium Bicarbonate. I am wondering how does boiling affect scoby beside killing bacteria and yeast. I should try. I kept it once in water after cleaning it and somehow I felt it was falling apart. I hope you will share the recommendation you will get here. Maybe, we can also ask @Littlepinkmaker & @Gammarra

I never heard about a scoby hotel. Any info on that? And also curious about this boiling and NaOH cleansing, so keep us posted @bdamsin!

The alkalic cleaning with NaOH boiling is something i first saw in this video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RACk8CN8sjc.
and then actually found out they do it in a lot/all academic literature. It’s always a combination of keeping it in hot water (80-90°C) for a few times and then in a 0.1M NaOH solution at 80-90°C too (watch ou peeps this is very corrosive + gives an exothermal reaction upon dilluting). I think it’s mainly for cleaning the sheets and killing bacteria, they become white and transparent. @Gammarra also told me NaOH enhances crosslinking, which will create a stronger but more brittle BC.

There are many resources online for kitchen scobies. This one for example: