I have interacted on this forum the past year concerning bacterial cellulose experiments in the light of my thesis. If anyone is interested I published it online in the following link:
The subject handled bacterial cellulose experiments for testing and improvement of its tensile strength. I concluded that a soaking with Ethylene glycol and ethylene glycol choline chloride rendered the sheets very strong (almost 100 MPa), also simple heat pressing achieved this strength, combined with a 10-fold higher stiffness (12GPa). By comparing it with common fossil-fuel based tensile structures, the strength would suffice for becoming a substitute for tensile membrane structures.
I also did a small water absorbency test, and this pointed out that waterproofing the material is still needed (samples absorbed between (25 and 250% of their own weight in 48h).
A test on connections/seams was achieved successfully, as I found out that sheets of cellulose simply combine while drying.
Furthermore I tried different composite tests that worked out physically but the tensile test showed low adherence between fibre and matrix.
More info can be found in the thesis