Thesis bacterial cellulose as architectural membrane

Hi everyone,

I have interacted on this forum the past year concerning bacterial cellulose experiments in the light of my thesis. If anyone is interested I published it online in the following link:
https://issuu.com/bastiendamsin/docs/thesis_colour

The subject handled bacterial cellulose experiments for testing and improvement of its tensile strength. I concluded that a soaking with Ethylene glycol and ethylene glycol choline chloride rendered the sheets very strong (almost 100 MPa), also simple heat pressing achieved this strength, combined with a 10-fold higher stiffness (12GPa). By comparing it with common fossil-fuel based tensile structures, the strength would suffice for becoming a substitute for tensile membrane structures.

I also did a small water absorbency test, and this pointed out that waterproofing the material is still needed (samples absorbed between (25 and 250% of their own weight in 48h).

A test on connections/seams was achieved successfully, as I found out that sheets of cellulose simply combine while drying.

Furthermore I tried different composite tests that worked out physically but the tensile test showed low adherence between fibre and matrix.

More info can be found in the thesis :slight_smile:

best regards,
Bastien

Letting leather sheets grow together

@bdamsin thanks so much for your work on this and sharing it with the community! It’s truly a valuable source of information and you’ve been very helpful to people :slight_smile: Congratulations with the publication!

Hi Bastien, very nice to see this. Will definitely read. I’ve also been prototyping this stuff for about 1.5 years. Maybe we can share notes at some point? The soaking is completley new to me; the heat application is what I’ve been relying on so far for stiffness. I notice the weatherproofing thing is what is throwing you off a bit too. I’ve had a bit of development there based on some woodworking techniques. Have a few more I need to test out. Also, have a method for making kombucha leather that isn’t dependent on the shape of the vessel it grew in (different than the overlapping method you seem to be describing, but similar in principle). Are you located in Europe per chance? I am in Spain

Thanks, also for the input this year!

Does this happen to be available at any other source? Ideally, raw PDF would be nice.

Hi, thanks for asking, you can find it in the following download: https://we.tl/t-PjGN9rT98I